Friday, January 8, 2010

Osaka, Masako and the love of Chocolates

I feel like I’ve been in a time machine, I swear I love the train system here. I can settle into my seat, pull out my computer, or book, or breakfast and just chill. I will never really understand why some people choose to drive to work when the train is right by them and is an easy commute. We US citizens get so attached to our vehicles. That’s why I purposely got rid of mine 1 ½ years ago. Lots think I’m crazy to live in the Los Angeles area without wheels. The truth is I do have wheels, and the motor are my two legs. I would rather ride my bike while running errands, or meeting friends. I know not everyone can do this, but I can and I choose to cut my impact on this world down any way I can. Guess that’s why public transportation in any city doesn’t scare me.

I arrive in Kyoto right on time. The plan is for another raw food teacher is going to meet me, I’ll check into my hotel, then hop another train south to the big

Sweetness in the train station!

city of Osaka to meet with students at Masako’s studio. I’m a bit bummed to finally get to the city I’ve heard so many good things about – then leave it again after 15 minutes… but I’m here to do a job and that job is very important to me. Raw foods is just getting started in Japan and there are lots of young women who are ready to go like gang busters in their country.

How cool - a juice bar in the train station too!

Masako speaks some English, but brought along a translator to make it easier on all of us.

During our train ride I mentioned that I hadn’t yet tried Soba for any of  my meals. I saw their eyes light up – they would introduce me. They took me to a typical Japanese lunch spot and we all ordered our Soba noodles hot (traditionally they should be eaten cold) but it was on the verge of raining and the in wind was blowing and damn it was chilly outside! I know I’m not supposed to be eating wheat.. but these are buckwheat noodles and one big bowl is not going to hurt, right? Yummy,

Hot Soba.. Yummy!

yummy, I did the happy dance in my chair.. I couldn’t help it, it tasted so good. A very light broth and lovely toppings.. one had fresh nori, one had green mountain vegetables, the other had tofu. I got to try all three. Now it is custom and actually expected to make a slurping sound when youeat

The Market

Soba. I know it sounds rude, like something your mom would slap you upside the head for doing, but it IS the way here in Japan… and its fun using all your suction to eat.

We hit the fresh market on the way to her studio and the first thing I noticed is how cheap the prices were. Masako told me it was because it was a neighborhood market and NOT in Tokyo. Plus, she’s lived here all her life and knows where to get the good deals.  We gobbled up Mikans (sweet small Japanese oranges) and grabbed extras and apples for my next couple of breakfasts. I’m a big fan of eating lots of fruits and veggies in the morning, although I’ve developed a habit here at following all the good stuff with a croissant, chocolate that is – damn sweet tooth!

Raw Food Students in Osaka

Masako has a small place but the familiar humming of the dehydrator made me feel right at home. I showed them how to make something similar to kale chips and she exchanged recipes with me, showing me how to use fresh daikon in a number of ways, including salads. Today was more of a lecture and Q&A with her students rather than a demonstration or hands-on class. I actually made a batch of raw chocolate truffles while still in Tokyo and had them couriered down for this meeting. Her students were absolutely lovely and had so many great questions. I went on and on about the lifestyle, what to expect,

Happy Masako

the ups, the downs, the energy, the “waking up”. Funny, we talked a lot about detoxing through juicing and hydro-colon therapy. There was a group gasp when I said that I have at least 2 more like 4 releases a day (that’s pooping). I had heard that constipation is a real problem in Japan and I can see why in some respects. I’ve eaten a lot of mocchi (pounded out sticky rice) and other forms. I promise to return to Japan and expand on the detox and tricks of

Female Bonding

the trade. All this lovely conversation went on while the women chomped down on my raw chocolate truffles and groaned with delight. It’s nice to see satisfied faces – every time. They loved my secret ingredients and the surprise middles in some of them. I promised to teach them the next time around too!

The day wasn’t over. Masako and a couple students wanted to take me out for a traditional dinner in Kyoto, so we jumped another train for the hour ride. Kyoto is a big city with many sections and

Pontocho, Kyoto, Japan

neighborhoods to explore but the main downtown is

Japanese Daikon Dish

right near the river and some of the cool old narrow streets which make this place so damn beautiful. We did some quick shopping then turned down Poncholo, a super narrow pedestrian street filled with good restaurants. Part tourist trap part real Japan. I had a 7 course meal, hot sake and of course some huge green salads. Every plate that came out was the absolute perfect proportion. I was reminded how we always tend to over eat in America and how grossly huge our portions are.. yucky yuck.

I had to excuse myself and  try to get to my hotel as quickly as possible. Waaay too long of a day for me… then the hot sake put me right in the perfect

Sushi

mode for bed. I know I have a couple  busy sight seeing days ahead of me and I’m going to need my beauty sleep. Ah nice to be at the final destination. Next time I will travel a lot lighter,  I usually do. This trip I needed all the equipment and warm clothes so I left hardly anything in Tokyo. Next time, maybe I will come in a different season and really make a dent in my suitcase!

Hello Kyoto. I know I didn’t see much of you today, but don’t worry, I’m here for a couple days and will get to know you as well as possible.

Tempura

[Via http://kirstenintheraw.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment