Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spotlight: Katimavik

It was the year 2003 and I just finished my undergraduate degree in Sociology and Political Science.  I was excited about what this knowledge could do for me.  After many conversations about my career options with family and friends, I decided to dig out my roots from Vancouver, Canada and plant them in Takamatsu, Japan.  What I didn’t know just yet, was how much a culture and community could teach and enlighten me.

The city of Takamatsu was really good to me.  I was able to learn and grow from the cultural and social experiences that I never would have encountered in school.  I came back to Vancouver feeling empowered and armed with a new perspective, and I found myself advocating to friends and strangers alike, the need to travel, re-locate, and discover new cultures.

Whether it’s across the world or across town, I truly believe that experiencing a different culture is necessary in every person’s development.  For me, I was enlightened by Japanese social norms, treated to decadent seafood meals, and I brought home a fresh perspective on life and society.  Learning about others taught me to never stop learning about myself.

So what does this have to do with the Katimavik organization?

I wish I discovered Katimavik when I was 21. Katimavik is a fascinating organization that I feel epitomizes my being and beliefs.  Katimavik claims that a one year gap between highschool and post-secondary is beneficial for youth to discover more about themselves.  The organization runs programs that allow youth to become actively involved in communities across Canada, while discovering themselves by immersing in another culture.

This is how Katimavik describes one of its programs, “Get a Life“:  “It addresses the need for young people to look beyond themselves and their immediate surroundings and to become active players in the social and economic development of Canadian society.”

Katimavik’s Mission and Objectives:

Mission

Katimavik is a national volunteer service organization that aims to empower youth to make a significant contribution to local communities and participate in nation-building while fostering their personal and professional development through a challenging youth-volunteer, leadership and service-learning program.

Objectives

  • To contribute substantially to the  personal, social and professional development of the participants.
  • To promote community service.
  • To offer a diverse experience fostering a better understanding of the Canadian reality.

What an excellent way to get to know the country we live in, give back to communities, and get to know ourselves in the process! If you just finished highschool, I encourage you to “Get a Life”!

No comments:

Post a Comment