Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Memory from Japan #6

My eyes hovered an inch or two above the clear spring water. I was looking straight down with a towel wrapped around my head. My legs folded below the water and my wrists rested comfortably on my knees. I tried hard to focus on the smooth rocks below but a small waterfall ensured my efforts were in vain. I could make out all the little details of the rocks, all the little imperfections and cracks,  but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t focus. The ebb and flow of the water shaped and twisted the light of the immovable object I sat on.

I stopped my vain focusing and thought of three questions: Who was I? Who am I? Who will I be? Who I was can’t change, only how I see my past self. Who I am can change but it’s difficult and uncertain. But who I will be is something I can change with great ease. I thought of my future self and saw myself becoming that man. I drew a line in my mind from my future self to my present self and saw the path I had to take.

My focus came back to the water hovering in front of my eyes. As I focused on the water I could see the rocks clearly. With that I lifted my naked body out of the spring and breathed my first breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment