Saturday, September 26, 2009

NYAF 2009 Day 1 - AMV Contest Adventures

Actually it wasn’t much of a day but rather a night. I only came to the con around 7:30 to catch the amv contest since I mentioned that my video made it into the contest. I missed most of the drama romance category but during the “brief replay” it looked like I missed a really good Nana amv. The action category was strobe effects that gave me seizures until there was that one video about some racing anime that looked like it came out of 1985. It was fucking awesome and got my vote. In the upbeat category everyone was squeeling at the ouran twins (enough already?) and the sailormoon crap in the magical girl amv. I voted for the magical girl amv because they had Trappiness and Nanatsuiro Drops xD Then in my category it was pretty…random. I actually think I had a chance until I got completely upstaged by that hilarious Mahoromatic amv. I woulda voted for it, but I decided to give my video a pity vote. I didn’t expect anyone to get the NicoNico meme to be honest and despite what Ntreev thinks, almost nobody plays PangyaBRNorth America.

Here’s the kicker of the night though. When we got to the con at 7:30 it looked like all the registration had closed. So that means anyone coming to the con now can not get into the con because they have no badge, but they cannot check in either because no one’s checking people in. I was about to like throw a shitstorm until I saw the god that is Peter Tatara. I’ve seen him so many times at all sorts of cons  in the last 2 years that I knew it was him a mile away! We ran after him and were like “PETER SAVE US WE CANNOT GET IN.” So he’s like hey it’s cool man and handed us our speaker badges. Uhh…so I guess tomorrow morning we’ll “check in” anyway just in case they need to check off somewhere that we’re actually there for our panel. Anyway, thank you Peter, because of you I was actually able to see the AMV contest. You rock.ヾ(o´∀`o)ノ

Met up with some anime bloggers and old fansub friends but had to run home because it’s double pang night on Pangya. YEAAA PANGYAA okay now JP’s turn to babble:

JP: Alright, to start: “some racing anime” is Cyber Formula set to Danger Zone.

Now with that out of the way, the rest of the videos. The magical girl one was pretty great. Part of the reason that it was fun was seeing just how frequently the same cliches get used over and over again, with most of the costumes or transformations being more or less the same. The other reason it was fun was cheering for the shows that nobody cares about. Everyone cheered for Sailor Moon. A lot of people cheered for Cardcaptor Sakura. I had to be the lone voice going “Wooo? Princess Tutu?” and “Wooo? Fresh Pretty Cure?” and of course, “WOOOOOOOOOOOO! NANOHA!”, although I got smacked before I could say “It’s OK if I’m the devil…” Then the Mahoromatic one came up and well, it won because it was SCANDALOUS. You see, you just aren’t allowed to make jokes about S-E-X—but they did!

The AMV contest ended right before 9pm. I wanted to see Cencoroll at 9, but since Pangya is the most important thing in life, I was not allowed to watch it. That would take up 30 minutes that could’ve been spent grinding away in order to earn virtual money to use to purchase virtual outfits which do the same thing as the virtual outfit my character already wears

No comments:

Post a Comment